This Is Why Angelina Jolie Is Angry At Vanity Fair Magazine
Angelina Jolie was highly criticized online after Vanity Fair wrote an article revealing the casting process for her new film, “First They Killed My Father.”
The Vanity Fair cover story stated that Jolie and her casting directors played a game with the poor children in Cambodia while searching for an actor for their upcoming film. They said the directors would place money in front of the children from “orphanages, circuses, and slum schools.” They would then ask the children what they needed the money for and take the money away to provoke a reaction.
A lot of people felt the method used was not acceptable and the internet attacked Jolie for her poor decision in methods. Angelina Jolie has now spoken out against the Vanity Fair article, saying it is “false and upsetting”.
Jolie released a statement on Saturday addressing the cover story. She said the audition game was taken out of context.
“Every measure was taken to ensure the safety, comfort and well-being of the children,” Jolie told The Huffington Post. “Parents, guardians, partner NGOs whose job it is to care for children, and medical doctors were always on hand…to make sure no one was in any way hurt by participating in the recreation of such a painful part of their country’s history.”
She went on to clarify that the “pretend exercise” was “from an actual scene in the film” and was not “a real scenario” as it had been portrayed in the article.
“I am upset that a pretend exercise in an improvisation, from an actual scene in the film, has been written about as if it was a real scenario. The suggestion that real money was taken from a child during an audition is false and upsetting. I would be outraged myself if this had happened. The point of this film is to bring attention to the horrors children face in war, and to help fight to protect them.”